Dilshan murder case: Ex-Army man gets lifer

20 Apr 2012
A Court in Chennai on Friday (April 20) sentenced life imprisonment to a former army officer, who was arrested for allegedly killing a 13 year-old-boy accidentally in 2011. The police arrested Retired Lieutenant Colonel, Kandasamy Ramraj last year in July for allegedly shooting down 13-year-old Dilshan with his personal revolver while the boy was trespassing into the defence area.

On Friday a special fast track court accused Ramaraj of the crime and sentenced him life imprisonment. Advocate, Maran told reporters that on the basis of circumstantial evidences and the statements made by the eyewitnesses the court arrived at this judgement. He said that Ramraj had tried to tamper with the vital evidences from the crime scene, whilst the police zeroed in on him with the help of the boy who informed them about the suspicious actions of Ramraj.

"After the occurrence this man came out of his and tried to destroy the evidences from the occurrence places. Subsequently he went to his and bring some articles in a lengthy bag and kept them in his car and drove his car towards the beach road," said Maran. Ramraj had earlier confessed his crime after intense interrogation, the assault weapon, which the accused had thrown in River Coouam was recovered. Dilshan's mother expressed her happiness over the verdict and thanked lawyers and judge for granting justice to them.

"I am very happy about the punishment and it has been given in a very short period. I thank the federal investigating agency, the advocate and the judge who supported us in getting the justice," said mother of the deceased teenager Dilshan, Kalaivanai. However lawyers of Ramraj said that it was not a fair trial and they would appeal in high court.

Here is the NDTV video coverage of the story-

"Obviously the only move that is left that is going for an appeal. We feel that our contentions made before the lower court has not been taken in the right perspective and quite a lot thanks to the media also the way this whole thing has been hyped across. Is some thing where things have not been gone in a very-very fair trial so we will see what opportunities we have before the high court and take that from their," said advocate, Gaurav Chaterjee.

In July last year, Dilshan from a Chennai slum was shot dead while he was plucking almonds from a tree in the compound of an Army complex. The incident took place at the Island Grounds Army Residential complex in Chennai. Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa had ordered an investigation by the Crime Branch. As there were no eyewitnesses, the police had to trace mobile phone signals to verify the movements and presence of officers in the Army quarters.

Investigators also used divers to recover the weapon that was allegedly used to kill Dilshan. Police said Dilshan was shot in the head with a Springfield rifle. A post-mortem confirmed the teenager died from a bullet injury to the head. The ballistic report said the shrapnel found from Dilshan's body and the injury matched the ammunition used to fire from the weapon recovered.